View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #15650
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Project 990 'KDV'

Just bagged this healthy-looking, 47,000--mile, 2010 specimen (sans fugly luggage, of course!) from the good people at Dubbelju Motorcycle Rentals (if you know anyone who wants to borrow a proper bike for a tour out of NorCal, Wolfgang's your man), via our mates at Scuderia West in SF.

Now commencing Project 990 'KDV' in earnest...

OK. So, she may well be a high-mileage, former working girl, which means she'll no-doubt have experienced more than her fair share of club-footed gearshift and cack-handed throttle abuse during her time on the streets. But equally, it also suggests that she's unlikely to have suffered too much of a beating at the hands of aggressive off-road riders. And she's been rigorously maintained by the top techs at Scuderia. So, by my [currency-based] logic at least, the bike's only just run in.

And anyhoo, I fully intend to see 200k+ on the clock at some point. So, if I didn't think it'd still be on-form after a measly 47,000, then I wouldn't have bought a 990 in the first place. Regardless of the odo reading.

Plus, the price was right . Which freed up more funds for... Yup! You guessed it...

F-F-F-F-FARKLES!

With a little (lot of) help from the most excellent peeps at Scuderia West / KTMTWINS.com; Black Dog Cycle Works, CJ Designs; Super Plush Suspension and Crispy Designs (the first four of whom co-incidentally also happen to be long-serving members of the 'Kriega Krewe'), a loooong list of upgrades are already emptying my wallet.

To avoid duplicating posts, I'm gonna be chronicling the work-in-progress over in the 'What Did You Do To Your KTM Today' thread, but will whack some shots up here once she's ready to be shown off... then ridden hard and put away wet!

In the meantime, here's what I've got thus far: Crispy's first draft of the custom livery.

There are a few basic corrections to make and other options to try out before it's where I want it, but I do like where it's headed…

There's been a lot of lurking, geeking out, planning and perving over other people's machines (largely facilitated by the awesomeness of the OC community ) - not to mention working my ass off to make this bike happen, but now it's time to jump right in with both feet. Thanks for all the superb information, inspiration and camaraderie. It makes me proud not only to be a fellow Inmate, but also to now have acquired your taste for / obsession with the Orange Crush.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:33 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote