Thread: Alaska Primer
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #81
stevebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
This has been an interesting thread to read. This summer marks the 20th anniversary of my ride from Virginia to the Arctic Circle on an '82 BMW R100RS, hardly an "adventure" bike as is commonly thought today. But I had a great adventure on my trip. Five weeks on the road, passing a black bear plodding along on the northbound side while I was heading south on the Haul Road from the Circle, seeing Denali without cloud cover, what an amazing state!

I'm thinking of riding back up this summer on my GS, and I found AlcanRider's post so refreshing. I sell BMWs for a living so, if someone wants to buy an Adventure to make that trip, which a number of our customers do, I'm happy to help them. But I'll also tell them they don't need the latest "adventure" machine to go on a trip. I'm very active with Horizons Unlimited (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com), and I know people ride all over and around the world on everything from scooters to sportbikes. The trip and what you bring to it is what matters, not the vehicle.
Sales & Marketing Manager, Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Locust Grove, Virginia USA
stevebmw is offline   Reply With Quote