View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
My final solution did just that. I shortened the spacers to 7/8" long. I do not remember how much shorter than stock. I ran the fork tubes in the stock location. You lose a little suspension travel that way.

Beside the weight balance issue, I found that while I had proper sag according to the "Internet Guru's" more than half of it was the bike weight alone.

You compress these springs over an inch just to get the cap on, couple that with the weight of the bike, caused me to believe the closely wound coils were being compressed together, turning them into spacers themselves and by the time my weight was added, I was actually riding a heavier portion of the spring.

I thought cutting the spacer would alleviate some of that and soften the initial stroke. Provide a little more room, so to speak. Whether that had any merit depends on what the spring did with me on the bike. I really did not detect any great suspension improvement but still think weighting the front did improve front end tracking.

That is one of the reasons that I now think I could have done better with a straight wound spring. But I would have had to do all the oil weight, height, air gap, spacer size BS all over again.

Beware though, spring replacement is just bait. Before you know it you will find the bike handles better and you can go faster than before.

Then you discover the real problem, your valving can't cope with your new found skills. It sucks.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 03:32 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote