View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #1218
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
What I take from AntiHero's trip is that there are more choices available to us in life than we generally realize, but we have to be open to recognizing them; also, a lot of the reason we don't succeed at things we say we want is that we give ourselves the easy out by embracing excuses. Some choices result in our not being able to ride off into the sunset. Having children, a spouse, pets, a mortgage, a career....these things tend to tie us down. To some extent they can be worked around. Read GP1152's report: "me, a blonde, and two ducatis". Spouse? Check. House? Check? Careers? Check. Kids? No. But, she rides. So they can't just take off RTW but they can go on rides together during vacations. Then you have Gene and Neda (aka Lightcycle)....sold everything except what they could pack on their bikes, quit their jobs, and are on the road totally open-ended. No kids No pets. Sold the house. Tiffany Coates: no spouse, has a job she can come back to but flexible time off, no kids, don't know whether there's a mortgage. Point being that nothing comes without some kind of cost, and it's our responsibility to figure out how to expend our "capital"...i.e. the time we have to live. Blaming the govt or the liberals or the conservatives? Nah. If we want to ride strongly enough we'll find a way. If we don't, then we didn't. That's it. Either way if we recognize our choice as a choice we'll be happier in the long run, even if it means we realize we're done with riding (because then you can let it go and find something to do that you WANT to do). Jus' my dos punts.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote