View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Glass Powder, Fog Lines and an epic high side

Well I guess it was bound to happen after 47 years of riding...so I'll add my self confession.

Hello my name is Steve and I had an accident on my motorcycle. 4 November 2012, I was out for a little scoot in afternoon. Decided to head back to town via the old highway which has a couple curves in road (not a common thing here in Kansas). Turning off of the new highway onto the old, I high sided at about 30 mph. Seems KDOT had just painted the fog lines, in doing so they put down glass powder while the paint is wet to make the lines reflective. Unfortunately these fine State employee's did not clean up after themselves and left a rather large amount of the glass powder on the road surface. Last thing I remember was feeling the back end start to swap places with the front.

According the sheriff's accident report, two different witnesses called the accident in at 1:58pm. The first deputy arrived on scene at 2:14pm. I don't remember anything from feeling the initial slide to next talking to a deputy and paramedic. On scene was a fire truck, EMS paramedics and 3 Douglas County Sheriff deputies. I really don't remember much of the conversation. I do know they said "Your bike looks ok so go ahead and ride it home."

I remember that my ankle hurt, I felt like I had stingers to both lower arms and my left wrist was sore. Rode home, put the bike away and went in the house to clean up. Noticed in the bathroom mirror that my right pupil (apparently landed on the right side) was about the size of a quarter. My left pupil on the other hand was about the size of a pencil eraser. "Hmmm, I don't think that's right."

Called my daughter who is a trauma nurse in Iowa and asked her what that meant, "Dad, you need to go to the hospital ASAP. Oh, by the way how did you get home?", she said. "I rode." I won't repeat what she said.

Needless to say, I went to the ER. Several hours later, I was released. Sum total of injuries, a concussion, broken left wrist, broken left heel and big toe, sprained right wrist, and broke both elbows. Apparently I had been knocked unconscious for at least 20 minutes.

As always, I had all my AGATT gear on, the helmet, gloves, boots, riding jacket did their job. Should be back in shape by March to ride again, despite "concerns" of my daughter and the rest of the family.

Cheers and watch those fog lines!.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote