View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #15658
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Unfortunately not, mate. Original idea was to do a fly/ride, but unless I can supply a Bill Of Loading for getting it trucked out of CA, I get hammered for sales tax there and when I register it in NOLA. Which sucks, but there you go...
I recently did something similar on my recent bike purchase and an earlier new car purchase.

On the bike, the sales tax was waived in Washington State- I signed an agreement that I was transporting the bike with intent to register it in CA. The dealer (it was a demo) provided a 3 day transit permit for WA state. I was supposed to (in theory) check in with DMV in Oregon and CA for permits when I rode the bike home, but I forgot. I also forgot the permit lasted only a few days on my extended ride home. I also failed to maintain the permit in a visible position, and failed to keep it from falling off on the day of its expiry.

I paid sales tax only here in CA.

IIRC, I paid sales tax in AZ when I bought the car, and then was given credit for that amount when I registered the car in CA- CA taxes were (guess?) higher.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote