View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #6694
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
After my post regarding the fork upgrades, I just want to clarify a few things i've noticed that seem a little strange, Firstly am I right in thinking that standard xl600 forks are 39mm to 1985 and 41mm after?.

I was in the garage earlier and thought I'd have a closer look at mine and I noticed the tops are about 1 inch above the top yoke - is this normal for them to be set that way or are they normally flush with the top of the yoke?

I then noticed that they look like they've been machined from half way between the 2 yokes to the tops

So, I measured them and they are 43mm all the way up to where it looks machined and then 41mm. And from what Carter said the other day I am guessing a european top yoke has been used as its 41mm and has the ignition holder and screen/light holder brackets in the normal place.

Found a part no. KA4-831 on a little blue sticker on the right slider and have done a quick search and they seem to be coming up as from a CR250R or CR500R from 85-87 intrigued as to whether the machining is original or an alteration - most forks I've seen are normally the same diameter all the way up...

Heres a pic of the whole forks in case it helps... At the moment I'm thinking someone has done me a massive favour and may have already upgraded my forks
Let me know what you think? it may just be that I've misinterpreted what you guys have said and I've read and this is all normal

85 Vespa PK135

Stretchah screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 02:27 PM
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote