View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Psycho18th OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Most of the last pictures were on a trail along black canyon creek. It had a sign somewhere, but not sure what trail number it is. Maybe a piece of fr239, then 688 to 101? The signage out there sucks and I can't find a definitive map. The MVUM map is next to worthless because it doesn't overlay topo's or google earth.

Out of Cleater I took blue bell mine road, maybe 9273a/9263r? Then turned left onto some unknown number to me trail.
Anyway back to the story.

This trail had a couple pretty decent hill limbs, but led to an almost vertical 1/2 mile ish long descent into a dry riverbed ( mostly dry, it was a raging torrent last time I attempted this). I though the grade was tough when wet and slippery, but dry and slippery was bad too. I did see some other bike tracks, one definitely a trials tire. That sure beat my cheap- o Shinko dual sport tires at 15 psi by a long shot!

Here's a view before starting the decent. We're looking over the edge with the snowy crown king in the background.

Here's a view the other direction off towards Phoenix area.

The drop ended straight down cliff wall type trail into the bottom of the riverbed. The river is called turkey creek. I got off the bike and hiked down then about 1/4 mile up the riverbed to where the trail exited, just to see if it actually went through. Once I went down the last drop, I was committed as there was no way to get back up this hill unless Geoff Aaron was hiding somewhere nearby. Here's the view from the bottom. My bike is on the top right corner and I hate to admit it, but I bulldogged the bike down the last 10 yards. On the right of the picture, that rock face is an almost vertical drop. Being solo, sold me on bulldogging, so I could get out of the way and hike out if all went to hell.

Not many pictures here, but the climb back out was extremely tough. I spun the tire to a dead stop twice and was surprised to get going again. It just kept climbing straight up loose rocky hill for about a mile.
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote