View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
TurkeyRun OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Question First BMW (maybe) need advice

New guy here.... been lurking, except for a post over about the Harley's..... now I have some specific Motorrad questions.

I got a little cash, keyword little. Three Harley's in the garage, I'm not new to bikes. Do almost all my own work, keep'em running anyway. I'm so/so with a wrench but don't mind taking something to a professional when I'm in over my head. But, I digress.

Guy at work has a relative who wants to unload a 2002 R1150GS. I haven't been over to look at it yet. Here is what I know: It was parked in a driveway wet, and left for a couple years. My buddy says he put Seafoam in the tank when it was evident it would be there a while (owner had a wrist injury). He says that old fuel ate away the fuel lines, the paint has sun faded, and the seat and shocks needs replacing, battery needs a charge (at least). Says I can get the bike cheap.

Now, I've dealt with bikes in this kind of shape before - generally not a good time. I also know that if these are the issues that are known, there are probably others.

So, questions:
  • What else should I be looking for?
  • What kind of expense am I looking at for these known issues?
  • What would be a real cheap-*ss offer to make this guy?
  • What do I need to know that I don't know I don't know?

nadaguides.com has this bike at about US$4500 in my area for "average condition" and US$3500 for ..... not average. I'd like to get this guy to pay ME to hault it away for him, but I doubt that is going to happen

If this isn't the right place to go through this, my apologies are offered and any pointers on where to go are requested.

TurkeyRun screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:34 PM
TurkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote