View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #155
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
To answer to my own question:

When at speed, when I enter a corner, from the time of the turn in, to the apex and to the exit, when on a smooth arc with no need for corrections, the *impression* that I get is that I'm counter-steering the whole way through. That is, my from wheel, at best, is moving straight, if not to the outside of the curve during lean. (Normal riding here, body straight or upper body slightly turned towards the inside of the curve, with normal tire pressures and NOT power steering - or steering with the rear tire).

The impression I have is that if I'm turning the front wheel to the curve (after initial counter steer), I'm riding too slow (u-turn example).

Lion
The front tire is always following the direction of travel (there are some small variances but its complicated details that don't add up to much). If the motorcycle is actively turning left than the front wheel is pointing left in all riding situations with the front tire on the ground. A counter-steer is just briefly turning the handlebars further right to make the motorcycle lean left and vise versa. Once your lean angle is maintained (whether its up right or at maximum lean angle) than the counter-steer is over and the front wheel is following the exact line of travel.

Here's an example and we'll use a slow turn so you get lots of movement from the handlebars to make it work. Lets say your maintaining a left U-turn and the handlebars are halfway between straight, and full left to make the turn (so there's steering input available left to use). That handlebar position is basically the motorcycles current "center" to maintain that given lean angle and stability. If you turn the handlebars right of that "center" in the U-turn it will lean lower and tighten the turn. If you turn to the left of that "center" it will make the bike stand up and widen the turn. Mean while the front wheel is still always pointing left going through the left U-turn. That might be a little hard to follow after reading it but I suck at wording some things clearly.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote