View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #4206
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Not sure why you think the GSA is more suitable...basically the same bike but heavier and more top heavy. Gotta go smaller, lighter, bigger front wheel, etc. if you want more dirt worthy.
There was never any intent by BMW to make the GSA a better dirt bike; the intent (successfully achieved, I think) was to make it a better adventure bike by fitting it with all the accessories and crash protection that most tourers taking their bikes into the bush typically fitted from the aftermarket, then close the deal with lower gearing and bigger gas tank, both mods that the aftermarket could never practically provide. You're right, the stock GSA is probably more of a beast in the dirt than the stock GS, although if you start fitting the GS with all the crash gear and don't fuel the GSA to more than the GS holds, I doubt the difference is significant.

BMW already has the smaller, lighter, bigger front wheel bike in their line up (the F800GS).

The GSA formula has worked so well for BMW, I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if BMW doesn't do almost exactly the same thing with the water-cooled GSA.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 10:11 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote