View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #143
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
BigDog's pic of Indigo Pass in OR is exactly what it looked like in late July of 2011, but in our case, all the way across the pass. We made it. A week or so earlier, maybe not. Same for California pass, but plowed all the way across (very recently) in mid July. Going over Indigo I thought of Mark and his having to turn around. The snow was about a foot deep over the road but we could forge thru or dodge it along the edge. Long way back down for a go around! That was a very nice section to ride though; the forests in Oregon are spectacular.

As to camping, the only really good reason to not do it is to lighten the load for some of the more challenging sections. If you pack really light, and you have to work at it, keeping any top duffel minimized, you have the optimal way to do it. I'm looking at replacing my 5 pound two man tent with a one man that is just over two pounds, 16" long instead of 22", and going with a much lighter and smaller packing air mattress for this year's rides. Consider hanging out on Ebay or ADVR flea market to find some cheap used stuff. You will be well rewarded, and your bike will thank you. If you want to make miles every day, you absolutely must camp when the day runs out and you are out there somewhere on the trail.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote