View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
johmap
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Totaled GSA

On Nov 8 young women decided she needed the lane that I was in more than I did. Totaled my 02 GSA. Settling an insurance claim has a lot to do with the insurance company you have. They start with the book value of the bike as a base, then they will depreciate the additions that you have done. As I found out this past week portable equipment such GPS, Ipods, etc are not covered under the physical damage part of the motorcycle policy. Fortunately, for me, my friends took off all my electronics, so I am going to be able to use them on my new bike.

What I did to offset the price of the book value, was to send the adjuster what a comparable bike is selling for on the open market. It helped in the settlement of my claim. I sent him every listing I could find Cycle Trader, Ebay, etc. I also sent him every receipt that I could find for items that I had added but did not remove. I also sent him a receipt for a clutch that was replaced in 2012 and a 30,000 mile service that had about 400 miles on it at the time of the accident.

My idea is be patient and let them do their work, but be prepared to argue your case with all the documentation that you can put together.

Good luck.

John
johmap is offline   Reply With Quote