View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 797
Martin, looks like engine mounting point, not an issue. Mount up the motor and run it through its paces and then check for leaks. On the rear wheel- go with the 94 or whatever you can find to get a disk mounted. Adding the 30+ pounds to the weight for auxiliary fuel tanks, the stock drum will wear out real fast at race speeds. I raced a 91 factory prepped HRC 626 for a few years and went through rear brakes often, sometimes on only a 250 mile race. Have you looked into the removable sub frame option yet? Copy a CR 250/450 design. Find diagram on the web. Add sleeves at mount points and gussets with holes drilled at all weld points. I will look for pics of my old girl to show you.

Coil- double it up with two units.
Ignition- update to XRL 650
Clutch- heavier springs and plates.
Oil cooler- use XR 400 unit, mount 2 up one on top of the other- cool oil,is your best friend.
Frame- gusset the rear mounts where connected at swing arm- just peace of mind- poor welds here.
Wheels- heavy duty spokes, especially on much heavier rear. Stockers will snap on a square edge high speed bump.

More if my feeble mind can recall what my team did back in 91-2.

Keep the posts coming. - Jerry