Thread: The Way South
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #73
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Thieves

I posted this on the IMS thread but neglected to post it here on my RR for those of you who are not following IMS. I wanted to share it here and also to tell you that numerous readers of the IMS thread have offered to take up a collection for Dona Sara to replace the stolen money. I don't particularly like using this overused word but in this case it applies AWESOME! Guys.

Thieves-Ladrones
It can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time on this continent. My sweet, dear, Spanish teacher Sara was robbed by two young men yesterday evening around 7:30 as she walked homeward not too far from the school. These two twentysomethings pushed her into a doorway and rifled her bag to find her small pocketbook (bolsillo) that contained 3000 pesos, around $244, that she had just picked up from Western Union. One of her relatives had wired the money from the states to pay for her mother's heart and diabetes meds. The little bastards may have seen her come out of the Western Union office and followed here until they were able to seize the opportunity to mug her. San Miguel is very safe but like anywhere in the world one needs to be aware of what is going on around you. She was walking home, deep in thought, and as a native who feels quite secure was in her own world until these little pricks entered it. The street parallels one of the nicer private neighborhoods in that quarter of the city. Damn shame. This is a lot of money to her. I would still say that Mexico is safe, not much you can do about walking around a corner and finding hoodlums in wait even in Peoria.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote