View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
VENTURING SOUTH on DRZ's

Yeah, I’ve got a lot of breath on the first page but I’ll keep it in check with more photos than words in days to come…

So about 4 months ago I’m sitting in a bar drink’in scotch with my buddy in southern Oregon griping about life in general (i.e. direction this country is headed, politics, work, false freedoms, false reality of retirement for newer generations, lack of adventure, lack of love, lack of LIVING). But this is a Ride Report; So I’m staying away from that stuff and getting the hell out of dodge!

During the conversation my buddy asks me what I’d do if money/time were not an issue. I love the outdoors, I love adventure, I love the feeling of the unknown where anything can happen and I love motorcycles. I guess I’m basically just tired of the way that my world has become a predictable, homogenized system devoid of any life-professing challenges. On top of all this I enjoy travel and have always had a desire to see South America (no idea why).

So I told him (Alex) that I would probably pack up and ride a dirt bike to SA. Alex thought this sounded “Kickass” and he said we should just go for it. I tried to make a bunch of excuses about work/career, money, etc… but eventually I agreed. I really felt that we would do this…..someday.

Over the last 2 months some other events occurred and I talked to Alex and we agreed to do it NOW. Right around X-mas we set the departure date for January 15th, 2013. Cool….a whole month or so.

Short Background on myself:

My name is Andrew and I’m in my late 20’s. I’ve been riding dirt bikes/atv’s for the better half of my life. I was introduced to supermoto bikes about 2 years ago. For some reason I didn’t even know they existed. “Dirt bikes with street tires….get the F*ck outta here.” Picked up a DRZ400SM about a month later, fell in love, rode the piss out of it for the next 2 years with no problems at all. So I picked up a Husqvarna 510 Supermoto for a little more getup. After 3 miles I blew the engine. Rebuilt to a 530….wow….WOW! Just last spring a buddy of mine invited me on a dual sport ride out of Hood River. Bought a set of 21/18 for the Dizzer and hit the road. Had an absolute blast. Did some research and found this thing called the OBDR. “Trails all over Oregon where you ride mostly off-road…..get the F*ck outta here.” Decided I had to do this with one of my good friends who used to ride but doesn’t own a bike but enjoys camping and what not… Sold my ’81 XS650 that I rarely rode and picked up a 2001 DRZ400S with 600 miles on it in September. We rode Route 3 from Hoodoo to Ashland. I loved it and wanted more of it. Started farkeling the 2001 which was going to be my dedicated enduro/adv bike and started reading ADVrider.com…….Oh the possibilities…which brings us to where we are.

Anyway, Friday is my last day of work for a while. Monday we are loading a pickup and driving to Ashland. Tuesday/Wednesday we depart for South America.

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:

Romanousky screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:22 AM Reason: Spacing Issues
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote