View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHESS81 View Post
All good points for those in the southwest. Unfortunately, I however do not live near it. 6+ hour one way drives aren't easy for me to make. I don't really see how RallyMoto is any more or less dangerous than desert riding. All are good forms of motorsport. Wish I could play in more of them.
If you want closer you have some of the best enduro's on the planet in your area. When I say your area, I mean the Sierra's, Clear Lake and the mountains west of Willows. Then there are hare scrambles too. Places like Hollister Hills and such. Enduros are typically two 50 mile loops and involve time keeping. Hare scrambles typically have long laps, with each being several miles. The idea is to get the most laps in for the time allocated. Hare N Hounds are two desert loops or maybe point to point.

Check with AMA District 36 (Norcal) or District 37 (Socal) for events. Regarding the safety question, the RM concept is over gravel roads. That means very high speeds through trees. Desert racing is a lot slower for the most part because it is technical riding. Hare scrambles slower yet and enduros are just that. Trying to maintain an assigned pace through rugged terrain. You can get killed in any of them, but it seems to me that motorcycle racing is less risky when the speeds are down.

That's my experience, anyway. Personally, I started with enduros and migrated to amateur MX. Enduro's were too much work!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote