View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #1203
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
When I left this morning this guy was still working on the wiring harness of his VW van. He and his wife and 2 kids were heading down from the Yucatan. I used to have a white van exactly like this one back in the 80's. He pulled up last night next to the Sherpa and was kind of a night watchman. He worked through the night. Had wild hair and a wild look in his eyes. I suppose I would too if I had two screaming kids and a wife in a camper van going on a vacation from hell to South America.

They are redoing all the streets in Casco Viejo with brick. Many of the buildings are getting major facelifts. This place is really going through a renaissance. Jackhammers echoing through the day. A lot of hustle and bustle:

The police all dress like I do. All black all the time. With my Throttlemeister provided BMW jackboots I fit right in:

A final look at the Panama City skyline as I head out in search of a boat south:

Eventually you see signs to the Darien. The road isn't dirt any more:

A little bit before El Llano is the turnoff to Carti:

I can only imagine what it must have been like to ride out here when the road was red clay. Now it is a fun roller coaster of a road for the 30 miles out over the mountains to the Carribean:

There are some parts missing so it keeps you on your toes:

and really steep downhill runs with hairpins at the bottom. This is what happens when your brakes fade:

And finally you reach the Kuna Yala where the boys want 6 dollars for you and 3 for the bike. Total toll is 9 bucks. Here are the gatekeepers. They signed the tank and took the round rubber Kuna stamp and stamped the gas tank. Can't hurt to have some good Kuna vibes on the bike:

more later....

JDowns screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:21 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote