love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Dakar race - Johnny Campbell
Stage 5
275 km liaison
136 km special
At the beginning of the day we rode thru allot of technical rocky sections so I rode more conservative, then we had a challenging but fun hill climb on rocky mountains trails that required complete focus. Riding downhill, we faced tricky river crossings with lots of ditches. Overall it was more Baja style than the dunes today after km 50, we got some fast hard terrain, I could ride more on the gas. The bike worked really well today I finished in 25th and everyone on the team moved forward in overall position. Tomorrow will be a big day with over 700k total milage and over 400k special. My plan is to keep the bike moving and avoid any trouble. The team is all working very hard and while we are not quite half way we are in the thick of the rally at this point so it is important for me to get rest and allow plenty of preparation time for my daily road book work. I really appreciate all the support from my family & friends it keeps me going. The USA contingent here in Dakar has been great and we continue to make headway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Latest Rally News: Stage 5 - Peru - News - Dakar Rally, Peru - 09/01/2013

Positive day for Team HRC

Positive Start for Team HRCDay 5 Arequipa – Arica 136 km special 275 km liaison The Dakar Rally enters Chile and the difference is visible in terms of the scenery and the average speed recorded at the end of the stage. Riders tackled mountains rocky paths today reaching 2,200 meters before riding downhill for a 136-km long stage. It was a very demanding stage from a physical point of view especially in the stony sections and in the river bed crossings.Team HRC Riders started this relatively short stage with the target to close the gap from the front riders but without taking too many risks. It was a tight battle at the front with French David Casteu winning the stage 1'09" ahead of Olivier Pain and 3'25" in front of Alessandro Botturi. Cyril Despres finished in fourth place, 4'07'' behind his countryman, whilst Helder Rodrigues was eighth, 4'52" behind the stage winner. Javier Pizzolito finished 18th, while Johnny Campbell finished in 24th position.Argentinian Pizzolito now sits in 11th place overall (25’45” behind Pain who maintains the lead) followed by his team mate Helder Rodrigues, 12th at 25’58”. Johnny Campbell sits in 98th place.

Helder Rodrigues, SS5 8th +4’52”, 12th in the Overall: “It was a technical stage with lots of fech fech mixed with rocks, some fast “off piste” and then we climbed on rocky trails up to 2,000 meters. As it was a short stage, my strategy was not to push too much, so that tomorrow I can start in 8th position and I can attack focusing on recovering positions. My CRF 450 rally worked well today and I’m satisfied with today’s performance”.

Javier Pizzolito SS5 18th +7’42”, 11th in the Overall: “The final stage in Peru was short but very technical. I didn’t push too much as this was not a stage where you could recover many positions. I’m focusing on the first stage in Chile tomorrow where we will face sand and dunes of the Atacama desert”.

Johnny Campbell SS5 24th +14’50”, 98th in the Overall: “At the beginning there was a lot of fech fech mixed with stones so I rode more conservative, then we had a challenging hill climb on rocky mountains trails. Riding downhill, we faced tricky river crossings with lots of ditches. I was not comfortable in the first part of the stage, but after km 50, when we got some fast hard terrain, it was more a “Baja style” ride and I could ride more on full gas”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

Casteu's email news letter:

www.casteu.fr

Magnifique victoire de David !

Mercredi 9 janvier 2013 – 5e étape Arequipa – Arica

David a remporté mercredi la 5e étape du Dakar-2013 courue entre Arequipa (Pérou) et Arica sur 410 km, dont une spéciale de 136 km, à l’issue de laquelle Olivier Pain (Yamaha) a conservé la tête du classement général.
David a devancé Olivier Pain de 1′09” en finissant en 1 h 39′42”, l’Italien Allessandro Botturi (Husqvarna) terminant 3e à 3′25”.

Au classement général, Olivier Pain devance David d’une minute et 15 secondes, tandis que Cyril Despres (KTM), 4e de l’étape, est 3e à 6′07”.
C’est un retour au sommet pour le Niçois, trois ans après sa victoire lors de la première étape de l’édition 2010. Après trois ‘‘Dakar’’ marqués par un abandon (2010) et des places dans les profondeurs du classement en 2011 et 2012, le Niçois a énormément travaillé physiquement et perfectionné une Yamaha YZF 450 qu’il connaît par cœur.
Parti avec l’expérience de dix ‘‘Dakar’’, David est depuis le début de la course dans le peloton de tête tout en se permettant même d’ouvrir la piste.
« Tout s’est super bien passé, la Yamaha a super bien roulé, raconte-t-il après avoir passé la ligne d’arrivée. Dès le km 20, j’ai rattrapé Olivier Pain et nous avons roulé ensemble. Nous avons bien géré la course, nous avons fait la trace. Ce fut une belle étape ».
Cette 3e victoire d’étape, après celles de 2006 et 2010, lui fait énormément plaisir : « D’autant que c’est le début du rallye, tous les pilotes sont là et personne ne gère ». Après le sable des étapes péruviennes, cette 5e étape fut plus rocailleuse : « C’était très dur, avec beaucoup de pierres, de dangers, il fallait être hyper vigilant ».

Le coéquipier de David, Romain Souvignet, poursuit sa route en se classant 40e à 19′50” du vainqueur et 35e au général à 1 h 28′16” du leader.
Ce jeudi, David s’attaque à la 6e étape, disputée aujourd’hui au Chili, entre Arica et Calama avec une liaison de 331 km et une spéciale de 454 km dans le désert de l’Atacama.

Splendid victory of David!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - Stage 5 - Arequipa Arica

David won Wednesday the 5th stage of the Dakar 2013 between raced Arequipa (Peru) and on Arica 410 km, including 136 km of special, after which Olivier Pain (Yamaha) retained the overall lead.
David overtook Olivier Pain 1'09 "ending in 1 h 39'42", Italian Alessandro Botturi (Husqvarna) finishing 3rd at 3'25 ".

Overall, ahead of David Olivier Pain a minute and 15 seconds, while Cyril Despres (KTM), the fourth step is third in 6'07 ".
This is a return to the Nice summit, three years after his victory in the first stage of the 2010 edition. After three'' Dakar'' marked by abandonment (2010) and places in the depths of the rankings in 2011 and 2012, the Frenchman has worked hard physically and perfected a Yamaha YZF 450 he knows by heart.
Party with the experience of ten'' Dakar'' David is the beginning of the race in the forefront while allowing even open the track.
"Everything was great, the Yamaha has great roll, says it after passing the finish line. At the km 20, I caught Olivier Pain and we rode together. We managed the race track we made. It was a great step. "
This 3rd stage victory after those of 2006 and 2010, it is a great pleasure: "Especially since this is the start of the rally, all the drivers are there and nobody manages." After the sand steps Peruvian, this fifth step was more rocky: "It was very hard with lots of stones, dangers, he must be hyper vigilant."

David's teammate Romain Souvignet, continues its road ranking 40th in 19'50 "winner and 35th overall at 1 h 28'16" behind the leader.
Thursday, David tackles the sixth stage, played today in Chile between Arica and Calama with a link of 331 km and 454 km special in the Atacama Desert

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA