Originally Posted by ElMartillo
Completed alternator belt replacement today, after going back to the dealership to get the correct part.
My Hepco-Becker engine guards made removal of the alternator cover quite an involved process, so while I had it off I cut it in half using a band saw. The gap between the two halves is minimal, and it's gonna save me a bunch of time and frustration in the future.
Mine has both the slice and an access hole.
The slice was intentional and done when I got the bike, the access hole was made when a belt failed and tried to extrude itself through the cover. Fortunately, it happened at the crank pulley bolt. I just cleaned up the hole a bit and made it large enough to insert a 17mm socket. Its normally covered up with a bit of black tape.