View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #60
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Did I say that I’m skipping San Cristobal today? Well, that was my intention anyway. But when I reached the place where the road split, one going towards Guatemala and the other going to San Cristobal, I gave it a second thought, paused for a few minutes and did some calculations. The difference skipping San Cristobal would have been only around 200km. That’s a small enough number, if that city comes under “must be seen” category. But I wasn’t convinced. So I did it for the second time on this tour, tossing a coin to decide my route. Last time when I did such thing, I was in Uganda. At that time it was a decision between Kenya or Tanzania and Kenya won.
This time the coin fell in favour of San Cristobal. Within minutes after taking the road to San Cristobal, I knew that it was the right choice. That choice wasn’t so much because of the landscape, it was because the road into interior led over the hills and mountains thus the temperature become not only bearable, it was simply great! The quality of riding also became ever more interesting than the straight costal roads.

About 50km before San Cristobal I met another biker at a traffic light in the fair size city called Tuxtla Gutierrez. He too was riding to San Cristobal and he had just returned to Mexico from a trip to South America now on his way home to Mexico City. His name is Guillermo. Psychiatrist by profession, he is a very outgoing and a friendly man. We hit it off straight away. When we reached San Cristobal he took me out for a beer and dinner before doing some sightseeing. While we were enjoying a chit chat in a nice cozy restaurant, there stood a man next to us and inquired whose motorcycle it was with the Swiss number plate. Of course he was a motorcycle enthusiast and not only that, he was the owner of a beautiful hostel in the city where we happened to be. After a standard set of questions and a couple of beers, he was offered us a nice room and safe parking for our bikes. For free of course! I’m happy to be in a warm bed after a nice hot shower.
It is worth tossing a coin from time to time!

By the way, Sac Cristobal is a beautiful place to visit!

Dylan.S screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:57 AM
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote