View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,221
HS#6 Coyote Kill HS

Haley decided to sit this one out and help during the race so that leaves just my report. In the past years I've always helped with our clubs event but the chance to race in front of my mom and dad (My mom had never seen me race and my Dad was a part of the early,uglier years of my racing career.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Tbone) was too good to ignore. This piece of property is unique in that there's no sand or palmettos but lots of clay, elevation changes, and little time to relax.

18 fellow races on the line as the horn blows and with one kick me and my KTM shoot off for an adventure! I'm in 2nd place as I out brake someone on my left heading into the first set of double greens. I'm following the leader (Don Chris#24 ) as we hit mile 3 and he tries to take the quad cut-off..I mean he literally about ripped his visor off as he ran into the tape blocking it off..cr@p..I'm in first now! Ken Hardimen(#2) comes by in the field on a tear then David Wildner(#46) comes by on the gas as we head from the field and back into the woods. If Dave doesn't crash he's fast so I have to let him go and hope for the best. i come through to end the first lap in 3rd.

It's hard when everyone around the track knows you and yells encouragement..pressure! Marcelo Dadone (#15) blows past on the 500 and I'm starting to think it was a mistake to race...I knew it! Frank G.(#325) pulls along side of me as we head into one of the small woods section and I don't fight him. Right now he's faster than me so I need to keep up! I actually pass him back on the brakes coming into the stockade at the end of the fields..woo! I love high speed passes!...then the wheels come off.

I'm cruising through the woods in 3rd gear and I lose the front..big time. I hit the ground bike flips over and unceremoniously lands on top of me. Wait, something is really hot on this bike and it's burning me! I flip the bike off and roll over just as Frank G. rides by asking in a shaken voice "Are you okay?"..I answer yes just because I'm hopeful it's true. Left thumb hurts but other than that I'm okay..let's get moving I think! I really try and recover "on the fly" after a tumble as nothing worse than sitting there. William St Laurent (#240) passes by before I get going so I just try and follow him as I get my bearings back and cruise through the chicane in 8th..sigh. Jack Hatfield yells at me as I pass by "You're going backwards"...no kidding!

I can't quit, I always tell Haley we never quit, so let's see what shakes out. I spend the 3rd lap dicing with William(#240) as we trade places and he gets me on the hard hill as I take the medium route..it was looking pretty "rooty" on the main climb. I roll through still in 8th but now I'm feeling back in the groove. William hesitates as he looks at the scoring display and I see 1hr.25min pop up..we've got plenty of time for a 4th lap. He looks to be deciding what to do as I blast on pass and tell myself this is the time to really push! I come up on Lance Oulman(217) who I mistake for an A rider and follow for a while before getting by. I'm really feeling good as about the 7 mile mark I see Marcelo (#15) up ahead. I have to get to him! Just as we head into the mx section he looks over coming out of a turn and I know he sees me now. Just as we head into the southern section his bike seems to stall on a hill..that's weird? Seems his throttle cable had broken and not how I wanted to pass you my friend! I mange to not blow it in Mike belle's section..4th place! Don't know how I did it but ended up making lemonade out of lemons and salvage a great finish (last lap was my fastest). Thanks to all my friends/family cheering me on..never again though...ha!

Super Senior B
Place Bike Number Rider Name Bike Brand City, State Points Scored Promotion Points Counted Laps Elapsed Time
0 392 Jack Hatfield Trinity, FL 0 0 0 0:00:00
1 2 Ken (John) Hardiman KTM Seminole, FL 50 10 4 1:48:37
2 46 David Wildner KTM New Port Richey, FL 47 5 4 1:50:15
3 325 Frank Gamperl KTM Deerfield Beach, FL 45 4 4 1:50:31
4 117 Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 43 3 4 1:51:52
5 217 Lance Oulman KTM Fruitland Park, FL 41 2 4 1:52:06
6 83 Matthew Covey Honda Lakeland, FL 40 0 4 1:52:10
7 240 William St Laurent Husaberg Longwood, FL 39 0 4 1:52:56
8 24 Don Chriss KTM Orlando, FL 38 0 4 1:53:43
9 42 David McArthur Yamaha Cocoa, FL 37 0 4 1:56:46
10 121 Charles Fuller Kawasaki Plant City, FL 36 0 4 1:58:51
11 60 Lou Tunno KTM Boca Raton, FL 35 0 4 1:58:53