View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #51439
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Have read about Dave's carb mods for 2003 and prior carbs. What about 2004 and newer? This PO of this bike de-smogged it, but left everything else stock. Stock pipe. Stock filter. Stock jets. It fires up and runs fine, but I have no basis for comparison and know uncorking the intake and exhaust always help.

So my question is, do the Dave's mods also apply to later models? If not, what are the recommended mods to making it a little richer? The plug shows me it is on the edge of lean. I'd rather start with the filter, removing the snorkel, and doing the pilot/main, but don't know if it needs the disc spacer on the needle. If possible I'd like to leave the stock exhaust, but am fully capable of making it breath a little better without the noise.
Shouldn't be any difference in model years. I think that may have just been the bike he had at the time to do the mods on. I did all of it exactly as it was laid out on my '08 with no problems and did the TAT through Moab that way. You could take a few extra jets for the high passes as I did have to pay a little extra attention to keep it running, but not mandatory. Who wants to crack open a carb on the trail anyway, unless absolutely necessary. Good luck and have fun!