View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #129
alison's wanderland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
New years...

I kept wondering if I was going to run into trouble trying to cross the border on New Years Eve.* I did, but it was not at the customs office as I had originally thought.* I ran into it (almost literally) on the road. *I thought is was just an excuse for guys to dress up in drag and festively dance in the middle of the street, but there was more purpose than that.* They held up ropes in the middle of the street to stop traffic and ask for money for explosives to ignite the new year.* They stuffed paper mache dolls (called ano Viejo – the* old year) and set them to fire at midnight.* I loved this idea of burning the old.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I made it into Ecuador and headed straight for Cayambe, the equator, arriving just as the sun was setting.* I was meeting 7 other motocyclists for the night at Hacienda Gualchapa, an old monastery turned hotel.

The actual turning of time to 12am, 1.1.13 was celebrated with handshakes and well wishes, not shouts or fireworks, tired from the days ride, I think we were all mesmerized by the big bonfire.

So I spent New Year day at Linea 0 - the equator - resolving to live 2013 in balance and, well, to smile more.

Bien Viaje and Happy 2013!

2003 KLR685 – gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote