Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #237
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
dakar com

Lopez
The first part of the special went very well, but on the second section, the engine lost a fair bit of power and I started wondering whether it was a fuel problem or due to the altitude. I don't know, but I should find out when I get to the bivouac”.

Faria
I knew that it was the first stage on hard terrain so I had to make the most of it. I set of in 13th place and tried to go flat out, but I wasn't able to go as fast as I wanted with all the dust on the special. What's more, Paulo Gonçalves overtook me... On the second part, I found a good pace and moved up. I would have liked to have won the stage today because it's my wife's birthday and I wanted to dedicate the victory to her. Nevermind, she'll just have to be happy with 2nd place. That said, from a racing point of view it's better, because I will have less time to wait for Cyril, who must have finished in third place.

Cyril
I ate quite a lot of dust having started 5th this morning, but then I caught up with the stage leaders at the end of the first section. It was very quick, a WRC type route... At last there were some tracks and rocks. It was really nice to ride and on the second section, we all stuck together in single file. All in all, it was generally a good special and it's great to be in Chile!

Pain
Apart from a small navigation error at the start of the special, which must have lost me around 3 minutes, I managed to catch up with Casteu and Pedrero at the end of the dunes before overtaking them. Afterwards, I opened the road and attacked, but made sure I didn't take too many risks, because it was quite tricky. On the second section, I knew that Cyril would have trouble overtaking with all the dust around, but I still rode fast to keep the lead in the general standings. So, it's a good day in general, because I gained some time back on Casteu and didn't lose too much to Cyril. I'm still in the lead of the Dakar, for the 3rd day running – it's great! But I'm not letting it get to my head; I'll continue as I am, taking it day by day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_FX View Post
Awesome video of trucks strugling to climb a dune!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....51186369471513
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
I think it was yesterday somebody demonstrated that over the last few years we had 1 and 2 but 3rd and beyond we're an hour back - currently we currently have 21 riders within an hour - congested and competitive or what!

Tomorrow Cyril has Faria to pull and Caselli to push, I think we could see him erode that 2 mins 22 that Pain has on him and still not have to lead off the next day - is he about to make his move?

Helder is 25 mins down and lying 10th - not going to be easy to erode time in the present company, but he is looking relaxed so don't count him out yet.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA