Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #2422
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Tent & stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashek View Post
Hi Prutser.

This question is not bike related but directed at both you and Beamster as you both shared the tent. Is it an Fjallraven Abisko lightweight 2 and what if any feedback could you offer on it's performance. Did you ever find that the length made pitching and camp locations more difficult to find.

This comment though is bike related, allowing that lad to ride the bike bought a tear to my eye. I know that's not a cool or macho sentiment but as a visiter to his land you crossed the geographical and cultural divide in the most endearing and enduring way possible.

Stashek.
Hi Stashek,

The tent we used was a Helsport Rondane 3 light. Which is a great tent if you only need a place to sleep.
But with the bad weather it would have been nice to have a bit more height inside.
Normally I would use a smaller tent together with a wing that I only pitch when the weather sucks.
For this trip I didn't take the wing because it would be extra weight and space in the panniers.

Finding a place big enough to put up this tent was no problem. Its a bit shorter than the Fjallraven Abisko.
The helsport is just a few cm's wider at the end compared to the fjallraven which gives more space for two mattresses.
I used a Fjallraven akka RS2 for a few years. But the inside was a tiny bit to small for our mattresses and we would wake up with a damp mattress and sleeping bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehaniotis View Post
I too have a question regarding the stove used and if the stove was worthy .
Thanks.
M.
The stove we used was a MSR Whisperlite which I used a lot in the 15 years that I own it.
It has some disadvantages. Reducing the flame enough to stop your food from burning is a bit hard.
But using the right pans helps a lot. Stainless ones are the worst imo as it doesn't conduct the heat fast enough.
Titanium ones are much much better IMO.

Its reliability, simple design and easy cleaning makes it a great stove. A local outdoor shop showed me some examples of broken stoves due to vibrations. But this had never happened with the Wisperlite so they told me.
After 15 years still (you do need to clean them once in awhile)

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:12 PM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote