View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I totally agree yet again. I hadn't read this thread until today. I got a few laughs out of it! Personally, I think any kind of painted on aluminum look looks lake crap. I can spot it a mile away. Including photos of that silvery stuff in this thread. Black painted engines look good for a year or two.

No one started at the beginning. WASH your bike! Then they won't get so nasty looking to start with! Airheads go on and on about maintenance. Washing a bike IS maintenance! You can not properly maintain a dirty bike!

I wonder what kind of dry blast patanga was using? I have used finer sand and glass on tons of BMW motorcycle parts and have never run into his troubles. Glass bead does not leave a sharp edge?
Agreed re the wipe on look. Each to their own though I suppose. To date the best overall results I've had is with wet glass media blasting. I've tried the fine sand and while the result looks good, surfaces tend to show finger prints afterwards from my experience. If the part is going to be painted then I'd say sand is fine as it will provide a better key for the paint to adhere to. Haven't tried walnut media so have no comment to make on that one. Perhaps new dry media material has been developed since I last tried the stuff, but till recently my preference has been for wet blasting. One thing I never blast is carb bodies.

Agree totally with Mr Farmer regards engine casings. If you have one blasted be sure to flush, flush and flush the oil passages and then flush again. Will more than likely go with ultrasonic clean next time.

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 03:45 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote