View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #733
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Pictures Cuenca to Pimentel Peru

Just after Loja

Freezing cold

See the airport? Gives some idea of how high these mountains are!

Perfect pavement

Curves on the GPS all day

A stop for Coca-Cola in blistering heat after the descent

Three guys at the military checkpoint in southern Ecuador. They loved the bike.

Glass in my tire that I thought was a nail

Paul from Brasil

Hostal in Macara

Looking toward Peru

The view from my room

Nice couple in the next room. Estelle and Maria, They were from Ecaudor. He loved my bike. We tried to communicate. I showed them some pictures ffrom my ride. They loved that!

A better shot of my view. Those are the mountains I had just ridden through

Maraca

I thought these trucks were cool. They are a co-op taxi service. Great idea where a lot of people live on farms and need to haul feed, etc and don't have vehicles

At the border

This river separates Ecuador and Peru

This is the insurance office

I met these three guys at a bank in Piura, Peru. They loved the bike. I had to ride 180kms into Peru with no Peruvian money. There was no one changing money at the border. that was a first since the USA/Mexican border. I'm glad I had lots of water and gas.

Peru

Dry

There is a 200 kms stretch of desert between Piura nd Pimental where there is nothing at at least not much. I looked in my mirrors and saw another adv bike at about the halfway point. It was a rider named Ceasar from Medellin. He was nearly out of gas. He had seen be go by a little restaurant he stopped at and chased me down. he figured if he caught me I could likely help.

We rode together for miles. Nothing! No buildings nothing, just desert.

Then I saw this little place a restaurant and a tire change place. The guy had a can of gas and sold Cesar a gallon

We rode together the rest of the evening, found this nice hotel at the beach, had supper together and rode in a TUK TUK to a bank machine. Had a great chat in spite of the language problem. He speaks about as much English as I speak Spanish. We had a great night. He left early this morning for home. This was the southern most point for him in a 10 day ride.

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:04 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote