View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Tires for AK...

Completed a third round trip into Alaska and YT (Whitehorse) in early June, 2012 to/from Denver. 7500 miles RT.

Had Woody's install NEW Tourances for the trip. Had about 1/2 the tread left returning to Denver.

The Tourances worked perfectly well for the Dalton....all the way to Coldfoot...where there was an avalance on the North side of Atigun. No go to PB.

Dalton was DRY...temp was 82 F when I left Fairbanks.

The only "watch out" was from a trucker at the Hotspot (5 miles North of the Yukon Bridge) who advised me that the AK DOT was putting down 'mag chloride' on the road North of this fine lunch spot.

After cresting this 400 yard downslope...you could see the 'gooey' mag chloride all the way down the slope.
Trust me you'd NEVER be able to make it back UP this slope...way too slick.

So...Tourances are great for DRY to light rain conditions.
Obviously the TKC's have more bite and would be a better choice for WET conditions. Just plan your ride accordingly.

I just don't like the thought of hearing/feeling the TKC 80 'blocks' for a couple THOUSAND miles (Missoula to TOK***),
*** You MUST eat at Fast Eddie's in TOK! You can't miss it!
Photobucket

The NEW Karoo 3's might be something you should look at. Kind of a hybrid between the TKC 80 and Tourances.
http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/prod...e/Karoo-3.html
Should be available before you leave. Website says: "Available March,2013"

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 09:40 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote