View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #1480
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Man that's one super sweet set up you got there.

Looks like you could squeeze another smallish dual sport on there facing the opposite direction. Any idea what the tongue weight is? Looks like the camper is biased slightly toward the front, and adding the WR at around 250#, does it sag, or do you have heavy duty rear springs?
Thanks! I might be able to get a trials bike up there, but as everyone talks about, the tongue weight comes in to play and I think would be too much.

So to answer Huey, I've not measured it, but I'm sure it's in the 3 bills area and I've just got a Class 2 hitch, so it has to stay there.

I have a very mild spring lift on the Jeep that I only put on to compensate for the winch up front and even kept the stock tires (I'm a fuel economy nut as well). I've not driven around with the setup yet, but it really is the same as when I put the bike on the hitch carrier.

This is with the stock suspension:

In terms of better securing the bike on the tray, I also debated a channel and/or a wheel chock up front. After getting the bike up there and secured, I don't see a need. The WR weighs basically the same as a 500EXC (yes I want one as my next bike) so the results should be the same. What I mentioned I might do is put a plate on the underside of each of the tie down points. The tie down points I'm using have at least one bolt in the steel frame, so they are secure, but the second bolt is in the plaster board. So I'm going to add in a plate on the underside as a means of tying both into the steel frame and just as a precaution. There are plenty of thread left in the tie down bolts on the underside to do this, so it should be a simple process.

In terms of getting a second bike on the trailer (when the wife starts to ride again as the baby grows up a little) I'm thinking I'll add a receiver hitch to the rear of the camper. I'm still in the brainstorming phase of design, but have some mild to mildly wild ideas on how to do it. The real benefit of putting the second bike on the rear of the camper is the obvious weight distribution. The Jeep is rated to 3500 lbs and the camper is ~2300 lbs dry, so I should have enough for a full water load with both bikes and a couple other nick knacks. The family and dogs will go in the Jeep in total comfort, so I'm excited for future family trips.

longtallsally screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:43 AM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote