View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #131
bimotakid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Calling it quits....

Originally Posted by hapbob
This question is often thought about I am sure and When I decided to ponder my own future with Motorcycles I noticed I have Changed not quit. I have had a bike since I was 14 yrs old and I'm now 57. I have had about every bike, Road ,dirt ,ect. Harleys, Goldwings, Bmws ( yes all my retirement money was spent on bikes). I now ride often but they are short trips and errends. 100 miles is a big day. I now own a scooter that does eveything I need it to do. A honda Helix that goes and goes and I'm both comfortable and confident with it. No worrries of slow u-turn,gravel on corners and it's not $20K worth of machine sitting around to much. All my big road bikes were becomming to heavy and expensive and wasn't riding them like they were ment to be ridden. One bike/scooter I just bought is a Trike...a Big Scooter 650 Burgman trike...Going to see if I have desire to go farther with it than just around the neighborhood. Just bought it and Need to wait for June for weather and time to ride. So I am not afraid to ride..but have evolved to a close to home rider...and a low cost easy to handle bike/scooter/trike This Trike is more fun than you would think!!!!!!!!!!

Funny reading this... Man and his circumstances. You never really quit riding motorcycles. I have followed the sport for 30 years. Over that period of time, I have departed from riding for similar reasons and returned to the sport . Good to see you are still enjoying the riding, especially in the the summer months. The big bikes in the garage require more time to ride. 1500 mile trips is when the big bike shines. The scooter is a blast however, as others on this forum have well pointed out, there is no true substitute. The cars are the problem. The folks out there driving don't see a motorcycle on the road. Although riding in the neighborhood seems safe and friendly, I opted to ride single track/off road. Unless a mountain lion gets me, all should be OK...
I am delighted to find yet another way of riding a two wheeled machine.

All the best

bimotakid screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 02:24 PM Reason: fix
bimotakid is offline   Reply With Quote