View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
As I try to work out my logistics I still have many questions, if a guy drives to Seattle leave his truck and rides back after the event from Alaska to Seattle how does one get him bag that the chase truck was hauling? do you have to ship it or carry it or something else?

thanks Dave
Hi Dave - You are not going to carry much. My return trip in 2010 looked like this:

Marks load back looked like this:

Basically you haul back your stuff in a medium duffel plus the tires you might need. The KLR used both tires to get back within 1000 miles of this image. I didn't use either of my spares.

In 2006 I used my Gobi panniers as suitcases for the truck hauler and simply clipped them on my bike for the ride home. But I really didn't need the space so I only used a seabag duffel in 2010. Threw it in the truck during the days of the rally, and strapped it to the bike for the trip back to Seattle.

I used that front tire within 200 miles of this image.

You just don't take that much clothing. You wear the same outer gear every day for 3 weeks. That leaves underwear and a couple of layers. Most of us had a simple pant, shoes and top we used in the evenings. But generally, we came in so late we don't bother mostly. Medium duffel is all you need. You carry your spares on your bike always.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote