View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #312
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Caselli Red Bull blog, today:

The first two days I really had no idea what to expect but still managed to get through it okay. Now its starting to click a little bit better in terms of finding my way out on the stage. I’m still finding it tough and its taking me a while to read where I am.

For the guys around me in this KTM Factory Team its second nature for them and they can do these things a lot quicker than me. Yesterday and today I just took some time to stop and read everything to see where I was at before getting going again.

The bikes in this race are travelling pretty darn fast and at the same time you’re trying to read your notes. Its very easy to hit a rock and crash so safety wise I just want to look after myself and learn as much as I can. Its tough because I have to be patient with myself. I want to go faster and push but I need to hold myself back while I go through this learning process.

It gets better all the time and the next few days should be good. Its still early in the race but I would like to be getting better times but also I’m happy that I’m staying in the race. I’m just cruising and when I get this navigating under control I think I’ll start riding a bit harder.

The atmosphere between the riders is kind of relaxed on the stage because you’re not just racing each other but also racing together against the course and the conditions. It’s the not the same intense and close racing you get in motocross or even the desert races that I do in the States. At the Dakar if you pass the guy in front of you need to be sure that you know where you’re going.

Interesting fact: Caselli is the first rookie to win a stage since Faria in 2006, where he won a stage on home soil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Shorten the eighth stage of the Dakar as a result of climatic conditions of the territory argentino. The decision was made to organize the stage due to heavy rains that have hit the city of Salta, where the day starts.

Salta. - The Dakar organization decided to cut the first part of the eighth stage of the rally, between the towns of Salta in Argentina and San Miguel de Tucuman, due to heavy rains that have fallen in the last few hours.

Organizers sources told to Efe, that the route starts at km 288 of the stage, right after a stretch neutralized.

Thus, the stage will have a total of 183 kilometers. Then, the drivers will have 228 kilometers ahead of liaison to San Miguel de Tucuman, where there will be the rest day.

For the truck category, the stage has been paid in full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Wasn't on marathon day, but yes an entire SS was cancelled last year due to snow. A different day last year rains caused a shortening of stage.

Rumors is always that ASO uses weather to control attrition rate. Likely they do but sometimes itsfor good reasons...rain in a desert means flash floods in the terrain the rally uses.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13