View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #318
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Great call by Lyndon.

Altitude really took it out of the boys today.

I spoke to Brett Cummings & Darryl Curtis today. They were also both tired, Brett on an equivalent with Lyndon, Darryl a little less so. Both had headaches as well, and both battled with the altitude today and the dust.

Darryl first talked about how well his teammate Riaan van Niekerk did, and talked about his own performance with a little bit of disappointment I think. I encouraged him because he is still doing very very well, and he said he had a trouble free day but he did not want to take any chances, because there is still a very long way to go. He was really looking forward to the rest day. Darryl thanks all his supporters and apologised for not working harder to communicate with us.

Brett wanted me to thank you all for your support both here at F5irehose and the wilddog forum.za, he sounded quite surprised and encouraged that so many people were following his progress, and that he was greatly admired for towing Matt Fish so far the other day. He also had a trouble free day apart from a really tough liaison with the altitude. He said it was very fast and dusty, and the Hondas are not as fast as the KTM's. He said he could go not more than 139km/hr while the KTMs were doing about 145-15He was frustrated by that a bit today I think. Brett plans to take tomorrow easy and get to the rest day. There is a lot of focus on that rest day b all the riders, he said, and that he was really looking forward to it.

I think that snowball has begun to catch everyone, so its just as well the stage was shortened. In the desertt heavy rains would change the conditions too much and create new gulleys and hazards that would not be in the road book, so I think the organisers decision in this respect is a prudent one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
8 168 - POSKITT Lyndon (GBR) KTM 22h00m04s +04:31:47 --:--:--
9 154 - BEAULÉ Patrick (CAN) KTM 22h45m10s +05:16:53 +00:30:00
10 051 - PAVEY Simon (AUS) HUSQVARNA 23h04m46s +05:36:29 --:--:--
11 033 - CAMPBELL Johnny (USA) HONDA 23h24m03s +05:55:46 --:--:--
12 098 - LUCCHESE MANUEL (ITA) TM 24h25m59s +06:57:42 --:--:--
13 107 - BOUNDS Craig (GBR) KTM 24h59m00s +07:30:43 --:--:--
14 150 - BELAUSTEGUI Luis (ARG)

These guys are incredible. The times of even the guys farther back in the pack are blowing me away. To think of how fast the guys in front are going is hard for me to imagine carrying for a hundred miles. What the stages seem to lacking in overall mileage they seem to be making up for in difficulty.
Jan looked whooped. I've felt like he looked. Sometimes that bike just feels Really Big and Heavy. Snowballed. Still, missing the fuel dump is a hell of a way to dnf.

I'm looking strong for a good ride tomorrow. Have to work, but its a recording babysit gig, and Les Troyens is a five hour opera, so I should have no trouble (knock wood) keeping up, I hope.

Going to be a very interesting day. Looking forward to Cyril get mad

Pyndon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
We are like-minded on this topic. Great post.

If all the great challenges of life are padded to soften the blow, what real lessons would we learn when we fall?

The sadness of the loss is always tough, the feelings of regret and sorrow overcome rational thought and reasoning. In the end, however, to die doing something you enjoy is a great service to yourself. While your family will see it differently perhaps, there are many less desirable ways to perish. Unsafe employment, drug addiction, random assault...

Each January, I'm reminded of the fact that every competitor in this foolish endeavor has lived more in just a few days than I have in a few decades. It's humbling and exciting and scary all at the same time.

While it has changed, perhaps softened a bit, it is still one of the last of the greatest tests of both mental and physical strength that exists on this ever-shrinking globe of which we inhabit.

Long live the Dakar.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA