View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I'm still pondering my choices. A local dealer has a new 2012 KLR650 marked down to $5000. I'd still be getting a longer warrantee with the 2011 F650GS. I see my self doing some 2-3 day tours so cases will be a needed add own. Does anyone else think the $9,250 asking price on the F650GS with Vario side and top cases, a Corbin seat, extended winshield and center stand is too high?
Would adding Touratech crash bars to the F650GS spare it damage from dropping it?
I'll definitely be taking a motor cycle safety course and looking into additional off road instruction?
Thanks,
Mark
Hey Mark, with reguard to dropping the F650GS and TT crash bars; Yes, it seems likely that the bike can be dropped repeatedly without any serious harm (perhaps a mirror or turn indicator) with crash bars installed. OTOH, Vario luggage is crap for off road and really can't withstand much abuse. They're great for touring, but you'll want soft luggage for off road, or something stout like my Micatech aluminum boxes which seem to be completely indestructable
I have a friend who took up riding 2 years ago, and bought a Ninja 500 as a first bike, against my advice of course. She ended up spending a couple thousand $ on replacing the plastics after a relatively low speed get-off, but "Adventure bikes" don't break as easy (Multistrada not withstanding)
She bought a Tiger 800 last March and it has also been down, at low speed or stopped, at least 6-7 times in 10,000 miles with only a broken turn indicator and scratches on the Carribou luggage.

KLR is one of the best selling bikes in the "adventure touring" segment, but they are incredibly crude. Lots of people cross continents on them, but they didn't earn the nickname "paint shaker" without good reason
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote