Thread: So Disappointed
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Savage Rabbit View Post
Presently, it sounds like the only way to be able to trust the bike is to have a shop preemptively replace the fuel pump, check the bolts on the clutch pressure plates, and replace (?) the clutch slave cylinder.
The only way to 100% trust any bike is to leave it in the garage. No bike is totally reliable. It sounds like you're doing a good job of worrying too much. reading too many posts here and talking yourself out of the 950. The fuel pump filters on the 990 have issues leading to fuel starvation and replacing those, would it sounds like, be beyond your skills also.

I was clueless about working on my bikes once, I started by changing the oil on my 1989 CB-1 and worked up from there. You have to start somewhere and if you never do, you'll never improve. If you have to start paying the dealer to do your 9x0 oil changes, the cost of ownership is going to start adding up fast.

Checking the clutch pressure plates would be a good thing to do (TSB), they are easily accessible and it shouldn't cost much. You could add a Dr Bean electronic switch to the fuel pump (someone local to you would help you I expect, if you ask). I'd leave the clutch slave alone, it's the least likely item to fail.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote