View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #443
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I actually wonder about this. Other than cycling and Mark Mcgwire, I think doping is a little more subtle in sports. Its often guys trying to stay healthy, get healthy, extend their career or guys on the margin trying to get that little edge to make the show.

I think it would be naive to assume with all that money and fame on the line that motorcycle racers never dope. Im not sure how much it would help, but if you have to recover from injury to get that paycheck, every little bit could help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
I think if you do some research, WADA showed up to the AMA Supercross(Back when they ran it) and tested all the riders over two events, and found nothing. Zero. Nada. So, they gave up on that realm because there is no cheating there, in any form they recognized at the time anyway...seems like they would find the same in Dakar, or any other non-mainstream motorsport at the professional level. At least, IME. There is no getting stoned, tweaking for the duration of the event, or getting all 'roided out to win your class in the Dakar; you do it on so many levels that the human body could not need any compromises and the event is long and intense enough that no drug or cocktail could maintain it's effectiveness without other issues for that long.

That said, WADA is clearly a business and not an enforcement organization, so letting someone get away with it and then choosing a scapegoat makes them look all the better. Like any other "enforcement" organization, the casualties have to justify their existence, so there is a functional level of whatever goes on that they become the modulator of, not the eliminator of.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote