View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
goldentaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I had been on the fence about the timing of this excursion what with fighting off a cold for the last week, and the recent cold and wet weather.

I hit the road at about 8:30am bundled up like Ralphie's lil brother Randy from a Christmas story. I was not going to be cold. Temps were high 30's to low 40s all day. I stopped at Flapjacks for breakfast and a little warmth.

I was being careful on the North facing turns especially the shaded ones. Then I hit ice. Just a little squiggle mid turn going about 40mph. Bike recovered, but my nerves didn't for some time. Many of the turns I could see the roadsurface covered in ice crystals.

Coalinga Rd was fine and dry except on the North facing turns where there was ice and at times snow. I was concerned about the tight sections right before the Laguna Mtn. camp turnoff but they were fine and the snow I did hit was only a few meters in length.

Coalinga Rd.

Clear Creek was muddy most of the way until you climb up from the creek towards Idria Peak. Quite a few oh Sh*^ moments but no mishaps. I didn't stop to take many pictures of the obstacles due to the slop and needing momentum but the following are some I did manage to take both in Clear Creek and the surrounding area.

In memorium

Entrance

Looking West from Aurora Cutoff/R1 Ridge

I was planning to go exploring once in Clear Creek but the mud was tricky enough to just get through I decided not to. I did want to take Aurora Cutoff down to R11 proceeding down through New Idria. I though it would be less snow covered...it wasn't. It was a fun slide down through the mud and snow.

View from Aurora Cutoff

Riding out New Idria Rd. Lots of green as far as the eye can see

I usually do this ride many times throughout the year, I think I'll wait for it to dry out first.

J