View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke.klr07 View Post
Bear Creek Road was good fun. Gravel to dirt to two track and back again multiple times following, you guessed it, Bear Creek. Rolling good fun. Then we come to this place. Can you imagine?

This must have been the place back in the day. That date above the door says 1882.
That is the former home of Oscar Yoder and family. The Yoders were a Mennonite family that settled in central and southern Goshen County. If you look on the map, you'll find the town of Yoder straight north about ten miles, named for them. Yoder, Wyoming was my childhood home, and my family were early settlers in the area too, though we have only reservoirs and abandoned oil wells named for us! As the size of the Yoders' house indicates, the Yoder family was large. While the name has mostly died out now, the bloodline surely has not. Years ago I worked for the state government in Cheyenne, and no fewer than three of the lawyers I worked with, and one engineer, were all direct descendants of Oscar Yoder.

You hit three of my favorite dual sport rides on this trip. I live near Laramie, and I can hit Green Ridge Trail from my front door with only one mile of pavement. I often make an excuse to hit Bear Creek road past the Yoder homestead when I ride home visit my folks, who still live near Yoder. And the bunker you found is along another of my favorite loops in the Veedauwoo area. I guess I should admit that I live in a sort of dual sport heaven.

BTW, the bunker is one of the most obvious remnants of a former military training area. That lovely forest we now know as Veedauwoo was once a WWII ordinance training ground and aircraft gunnery target range, and to this day we find occasional unexploded ordinance in the area.

Cowboy screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 08:42 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote