View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #8405
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
So what if I were to give my fuel screw an extra turn out to even out the air flow.. Louder bike is a safety precaution for me as most drivers around here are young and stupid. I'm only 17 but sense owning my bike, 1000 miles (in 5 months) I've become a much better driver but the xt's are too quiet to be heard and nobody and i do mean NOBODY looks ouit for bikers around here. The noise would help a little. especially next spring when everyone has their windows down.
Noisier bike is not any safer. 99% of drivers don't see or hear motorcycles, so you have to see them. Your best defense, besides being as VISIBLE as possible (I wear a white helmet and an orange vest) is to assume you are invisible, and everyone in a car/truck is out to get you, and ride accordingly. I'm 54, been riding on the street since I was 16, have owned 46 bikes, counting the seven I have now (2 are XT225s) have ridden over half a million miles, have never had anything but the stock pipes on any of the bikes, and have never been in an accident. Yes, part of that is just plain luck, but most of it is skill, experience, and the right attitude. Have you taken the MSF riders course?
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote