View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Tahuya State Park with a New-to-me EXC

After not riding a dirt bike for about twenty years (an old KTM LC4 and a DR650 don't count), I took my new bike out for a ride today at Tahuya. It is a 2005 KTM 450 EXC. I know that dirt scoots have changed a lot since the radical 1989 RM80 that I had when I was thirteen. I was prepared to be very cautious today and learn about my bike and its personality.
The 450 turns out to be very easy to ride, and I found myself hauling the mail in no time, just like back when I was on my little RM. I've never really gotten to know a motorcycle that can loft its wheel in third gear, and I never knew what I was missing. This thing is a complete fun machine.
The ferry ride to Bremerton was quiet at 8:30. There was a cool mist on the Sound that looked more like a cheezy Hollywood special effect. Saw a harbor seal as we approached Bremerton.

I expected the parking lot at Elfehdahl to be pretty deserted because of the big Seahawks game, and it was. A few quads, but nothing that put a turd in the punch bowl. My riding buddy seemed to take forever to get geared up, while I sat there waiting. I wanted to pop a wheelie on this thing, ASAP!

It was pretty dang cold, about 34 degrees F all day. There was some ice and snow on the trails, and the big puddles that make Tahuya famous were frozen over, making an awesome crackling sound when we rode over them. Very, very cold though.

Riding buddy has a cool new bike as well, a 2010 Husky TE250.

Had to be careful on the bridges, they really held they're icy surface all day. Riding buddy grabbed a little front brake and took a dive about five seconds after I shot this pic:

What a super day! Thank you Seahawks!
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote