View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #4377
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Great links Snooker - Thanks!

I'm leaning toward a lithium, but reliability is my #1 priority. (which is why I was headed toward the Odyssey in the first place). Other than perhaps being the best known and having what sounds like good customer service, Shorai seems to have some quality issues and exaggerated specs. I like your point about the A123s having a good track record. But they also are geared more toward cranking amps than capacity. I'm hoping it is moot, since I would fit the largest Li battery that would fit. This would hopefully give me extra reserve and extra CCA to minimize cold start issues with the Li battery. I'm leaning toward 12/18 cell replacements, some of which have 300+ CCA.

I like that the EarthX batteries have the the balancing circuit. But even there, it is a recent add-on and I wonder if the benefits of it are outweighed by an additional, relatively untested, potential failure point. EarthX and Antigravity are currently my frontrunners.

Much of my miles are commute miles with the bike idling. With my heated grips and lights, the voltage will drop down to about 12V at stoplights. The bike has no problem at speed, but some added reserve capacity would bring some peace of mind. The Li batteries can give me that reserve capacity, but I might be losing some peace of mind based on the numerous failures I've read about.
I'm following your quest with interest Marc. I stopped at Cycle Gear to ask about the Yuasa that's listed in this thread on page 1. The manager showed me a Megaboost with the same number. He says it has a life time warranty and even if I sat it in the lot with all the lights and accessories on with the bike off and it wouldn't start I'd get a new one for free. I obviously wouldn't do that of course. I'm a fan of AGM myself. This I believe is a sealed gel type. I keep both bikes on a tender whenever they are in the garage.