View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #30
John65 OP
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoadPassion View Post
Wow guys,
Nice ride route and great job with the ride report. I live in NW Atlanta and ride the North GA stuff all the time. A few buddies and I were just up around the FS42 and Cooper Creek area this weekend, and with all the rain we've had it was great....on a small bike (DRZ400). LOTS of side roads/trails and dead-ends up there.

I just sold the KLR and now have a Super Tenere, so I LOVE your route as I have been wanting to put something like this together for the big bike. I will INTENTIONALLY remove a few of your sections that I know I do not want to do with the ST - for instance Charlies Creek - I too took a swim in the river - from the direction you guys came, the left side is the deepest, and it appears you both found that out. Also Flatland, especially if it's a rainy day - note if you enter Flatland from the asphalt side there IS a no trespassing sign, but this is not true. The local home owners try to keep the bikes out, but the road is public to the dead-end, where you then enter the FS road - so it IS legal).

There are a bunch more roads in N Ga, TN, NC and AL that I'm sure you would put into your "great" category - we typically make one or maybe two trips up into the Maggie Valley area of NC for tremendous riding (again, small bikes - check out threads for Hurricane Creek - yahoo!!) You guys are close by....ever interested in riding, drop a PM and maybe we can put a ride together.

Again, thanks for the ride report. Great job. Motivating me to sit down with the route and tweak it a bit to better fit my ST desires (I really have no desire to do major off-roading with the ST, though I do have all the required/recommended goodies).

Will keep watching for updates.
Thanks for the comments, I'd love to get back up there again.
It's gettin' more and more difficult to build a good route, with all the locked gates and no trespassing signs.
I use mapsource, google earth, paper maps and online county road maps, and still have trouble.

Sharing our tracks seems to be the best way for all of us to ride the "Really Good Roads"

We didn't go swimming in Tallulah river, but I came close enough, (both feet down) and water was a good bit deeper than my boots.
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote