Thread: KLR250 thread
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #895
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'd hate keeping up with a GS on that bike too. I switch between a couple of bikes but am normally on my KLR650, and I ride that prety slow anyways. No worries there.

I checked out your mods, seem easy and cheap for what you gain. I'll be doing that for sure.

She sat on one a couple of years ago and could touch pretty good, so I don't know where the height concerns are. I guess we'll find out soon. She weighs about 160 ish, so maybe it's sagging more? Not sure what you weigh.

Thanks for the responses, pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Hopefully the height isn't an issue. I keep reading here that it's tall, but when she sat on one she was fine. Unless maybe that one had a blown shock or the sag was wrong or it was lowered. I don't know.

First project is just going to be making sure she's comfortable and some maintainence. Valve check and stuff. See what she wants to do, I'll probably end up making a luggage rack, maybe a small windscreen. It's hard to say right now just how far she'll actually want to go. She wants to be able to haul some camping gear and follow me on my KLR. I'll carry most of the weight, just have some of the lighter and bulky stuff on her bike. Sleeping bags and some riding gear mainly.
I weigh 170, and if I put all my weight on the seat, and sit all the way forward, I can almost flat foot. The bike is stock except for cycleracks. I usually have to climb the peg to get on, and untill I gained some flexibility, kick starting had to be done from standing on the peg too. The height is wonderful for riding over downed trees. I might not like the lowering links, just have to see.