View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #8412
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
No, but why would you need them? It's not a shiny chromed out cruiser or a sport bike with plastic that will break in an off.

On a related noted. The xt crashes very well as long as you are moving forward. Got kicked off trail and almost hit a small tree. Did the right thing and looked where I wanted to go so I missed the tree. The bike on the other hand did not completely miss the tree catching the bar and stopping me dead (tight trees, couldn't have been going over 10mph when I left the trail). Then the bike fell over and cracked the 1/2 moon bracket that holds the clutch/mirror assembly. If it's moving forward the mirrors break away and don't damage anything. That's why the right side mirror is a CCW thread.

From now on I'm folding the mirrors in when I'm off road. Thinking reusable zip ties. Any better suggestions?
I generally take the mirrors off for off road riding. They are easy to remove and install without tools.

Also, one of the first things I did when I got my bike is to make sure that the controls are a little loose on the bars. You want them snug enough so that they will not move during normal use, but will move in a crash. You should be able to move the controls if you grip them firmly with your hand. That will save your levers and perches from some crashes.

I also do not understand the need for crash bars. The bike crashes very well. Biggest issue in crashes is the forks getting twisted in the triple clamps.