View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #40
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 233
WNWT Day 7

One full week on the road

Woke up to 31 degrees in Fredericksburg, TX... but it was sunny. Let it warm up a few degrees, ate some breakfast, and struck out on a 201 mile loop SW of town.

First part of the ride was a nice, swoopy run that hugged and crossed the Guadalupe River. Lots of really neat cabins and resorts built up along the river. Reminded me a lot of riding along the Mississippi in Iowa and Illinois (one of my favorite things to do back home). Most of the crossings are set up so that if it floods, it just runs over the road.

Ran down a section of faster, four-lane road that had great views.

An Iowa Tiger in the Texas Hills...

Any road that has the word "creek" in it... likely runs alongside AND through the creek...

Stopped at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop in Leakey, TX. Of course it was dead at 2:00 on a Sunday with the temps only in the 40's but it's a neat establishment. They have parts and accessories on one side. A restaurant and bar on the other with a huge breezeway in between, big patio, and shelter out back with a nice view. Had the "Fury" sandwich (grilled chicken, pepper jack cheese, and chipolte ranch sauce) with some great tater tots. Good food. I bet this place can have some great parties. Any of you in the area should check it out if you haven't.

The sun was really warm and it was actually quite comfortable sitting outside. View from my seat...

Jumped on Ranch Road 337 going east out of Leakey. Best road I've been on so far! Apparently it's one of the roads they call the "Three Sisters" around here. Twisted up and down through the hills. Reminded me of the mountain roads in Baja. Great fun.

Ended up on a route they call "Grapetown Road". Another great one. I've been very impressed with drivers down here. I've been given plenty of room and easily allowed to make lane changes in the busy city traffic and on the back roads, pretty much every car or truck I come up on moves onto the shoulder to let me by.

Grapetown Road goes by an old railroad tunnel that was very important to the economy of the area when they put it in. It's no longer in use and now, during the summer, is home to thousands of bats. Right now they are on vacation in Mexico but should be back in April I think.

Grapetown Road dumps out close to Luckenbach, made famous by Waylon, Willie and the boys as the song goes. Luckenbach was a ghost town when local rancher and folklorist Honda Crouch "bought" the town. It's a little hard to explain... it's set up for tourists, but it's rustic and those hanging about, at least when I was there... were not tourists. Roosters and chickens were all over the place wandering about. Since it was cold, most people were gathered around heaters in the Post Office, which is also the bar. A group of musicians were sitting around "picking and grinning"... pretty cool. Sorry for the poor pictures from inside...

A short ride got me back to my sweet place in Fredericksburg just before dark

I walked next door to Friedhelm's Bavarian Inn and Restaurant. I'll have to get a pic of this place in the light. Fredericksburg is a German town. I went with the sausage sampler platter... which was on the "lighter side" part of the menu. So much food... but very good.

Probably do another Hill Country loop on Monday...
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote