View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #51626
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I inherited a Corbin seat for my V65 Sabre. At first, I kept it on the shelf because it is notably uglier than the stock seat. One day I was working on the bike, thought of the Corbin, and tried it on. Felt hard as a rock! But lower. Felt weird, but I could put both feet solidly flat on the ground. I thought what the heck, let me take a ride with it on. After all, I've heard people swear by them. But I didn't even put the bolts in I was so skeptical. A few rides around town later, I had a pretty neutral feeling; it wasn't as cushy but it was tolerable and it did get me closer to the ground without sacrificing the bike's cornering ability. So I started venturing further out on it. I didn't get sore or anything so when a three-day riding trip came up, I got to pondering. I decided to take the chance on the Corbin, then didn't really think about it until I realized afterward that I never got that uncomfortable feeling I usually would get when riding all day. So like I forget who said it a couple pages ago, not thinking about it is a great endorsement!

Maybe the fact that it is wider and has a contoured shape - wider at the cheeks, narrows where the legs drop down - contributes to increased comfort. Maybe being harder helps... wouldn't seem like it, but maybe. It seems less comfortable to hop on it, but it certainly is more comfortable after being on it for hours.

I'd surmise that those who love it spend lots of contiguous hours in it while those who hate it are in for shorter stints and/or looks. The extra width is probably why the 2x6 analogy, but with stock being one of those rod shaped pillow rolls.

I talked to a woman who had a Corbin on her 1988 RT 100 BMW. Her husband had one on his BMW as well. They both traveled extensively on their bikes and said the Corbin was an excellent upgrade over the factory BMW. I was going to get one for my KLX400 (green DRZ) but read too many reports where the seat pan Corbin used would not fit well on most DRZ's/KLX. I's like to hear from somebody who has one on their XRL.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote