View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #72996
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I bought a 2002 BMW F650GS new, essentially the same as the Sertao, when I got back into riding after a long break. My wife and I put a lot of miles on it, and it has still not had any problems at all. No engine problems, engine's never been apart except for routing valve checks; no FI issues at all, still has the original wheel bearings, it just keeps going on and on with its new owner.

It's got 115,000 kms on it now. Routine maintenance is the key to longevity with any machine.
There are plenty of owners like yourself that have had good luck with the F650's. The model goes back to around 1994 and the first "Funduro" model.

But if you follow travel reports you'll find LOTS of things have failed ... repeatedly ... on the F650's. Most common things were: dead batteries (BMW did not use a sealed battery),over charging, overheating due to failed water pumps, fuel pump issues, cracked shock mount and failed shocks, broken off forks, and lots of lots of bad wheel bearings.

Having read the Chain Gang forum for years and followed Horizon's Unlimited travelers since about 2002, I've heard quite a few trouble issues. Still, at least 75% have had NO such issues.

My theory is when pushed hard with a load ... the F650's weak areas can show up. I feel the Chinese made BMW's and Huskies will both be better in the long run.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote