Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #451
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I personally embrace the vintage aspect of the event and I hope that Honoring the Past is the prime reason for holding the event.
Me too. The only place to go for vintage is NORRA, and they're doing a great job with it. But the "Forging The Future" part is a bit unclear to me. Maybe that's the rally part? But they are stopping short of a real cross-country rally.

Quote:
This event is never going to have the navigational challenges everyone dreams about while watching the Dakar on TV. I've basically said this many times before, but here are only so many ways to get from Mexicalli to Cabo.
There's a HUGE difference in navigation between the M1K and Dakar. At the moment, the M1K nav is so easy, many can do almost the whole course without a GPS or roadbook. There's plenty of opportunity for NORRA to make the nav a bit more more challenging without affecting the vintage aspect, even on existing roads. But they choose not to make even the most basic attempt to make it challenging. The roadbook seems to be just a cool book to keep as a momento of the race rather than the key to following the race course.

Quote:
Unless you just fell off of the turnip truck, more than likely you've raced those routes many times. Even SCORE has major problems finding routes going south. More and more private property and fenced off/gated access is the rule these days... Unfortunately, much of what is available in the North has been hacked up by the big SCORE vehicles and few people enjoy miles and miles of VW sized whoops.
Those issues, plus the lack of challenging nav defines a nitch that I'd like to see filled, and that many others would like to see available too. So far NORRA doesn't seem interested in an event that would fill that nitch. I'll keep working on it (a separate event), and find a way to fill the nitch.

Quote:
the days of open access are long gone.
You're thinking "in the box". A good diabolical plan shreds the box.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote