View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #73005
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I disagree. Although nothing can really be proved definitively YET ... I feel that the Euro goes further in China and better quality will be the result. If the basic design is sound then with precise manufacture and top quality components it's a Win Win for BMW (and Husky) After all ... BMW make cars in China too.

What's been hurting BMW the last 10 years or so has been some dodgy Eastern European parts suppliers ... and some slip shod QA (quality assurance) in Berlin. Even former BMW designer David Robb admitted to this.

Based on some experience with the DR I feel it may not be the top end that will be in need of service. If the gear box lets go ... well

But I'm sure a fresh top end couldn't hurt if you tend to over rev and hold the bike at high RPM's for long periods. Mine's at 50K now ... still good compression, no oil use and good power!
Look after the oil, valve adjustments and filters and it may surprise you.

The problem with manufacturing in China is being able to stay on top of them. They love to start subbing unapproved materials any chance they get to save a few pennies.

I am pretty religious on maintenance on my bikes, but I also ride the piss out of them

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote